What happens next?

Last night, I watched the Kony2012 video that has been exploding all over Facebook.

Here is the link if you haven't seen it yet:


Like others, I was moved by the content. But I can't help but wonder if this really the answer. I think that the education piece is important - the reminder of the reality that is lived in other parts of the world. The content of the video was not shocking to me because it was not new information, but I know that not everyone who watches the video can say the same, so I think there is value in the video as far as educating people about a very real issue.

And I know that when awareness turns to action, it can change the world. But posting a video today, and doing nothing tomorrow changes little. The video is well done, and it sheds light on an important issue. But what happens next? That's the question that really matters.

My other challenge with this issue is that it is easy for this to seem far away. Yes, in parts of Africa, there are children being kidnapped from their homes and forced to fight in wars. And that's awful - worse than awful. But did you know that Toledo, Ohio is the third largest gateway city for childhood sex trafficking in the United States? It's really not so far from home, is it?

So again, I ask, what happens next? Because that's when we see what really matters to us, where our priorities truly are.

“You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt. And who wants to leave buttprints in the sands of time?” ~ Bob Moawad

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion