Chopped

I enjoy watching the show Chopped on the Food Network. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the premise is that there are 4 chefs in a competition. There are 3 rounds (appetizer, entree, and dessert) and each round has a basket with several mystery ingredients that must be included in each round. After each course, the judges taste the food and then "chop" one chef.

The main reason I like watching this show is that the ingredients in the basket are usually so random and yet the chefs manage to make something with it. And as I sit here watching it right now, and thinking about what I wanted to write tonight, I realized how much it is like youth ministry - at least the way I do it.

I take all these random pieces that don't seem to be connected and I tie them together in a way that makes sense. One of the youth once requested a specific game at youth group and then told me to just figure out what Bible study would go with it. In that case, I had to inform her that was not the way it worked - I start with the Bible study and then figure out what game or activity can be tied into it. But it is a process of evaluating the resources I have and coming up with creative ways to teach the lessons.

And like on Chopped - sometimes it works well. Other times, it's a flop. But then that's life isn't it? We take what we are given, and we make the best of it. And thankfully, instead of getting Chopped when it's a flop, we have the grace of God that gives us another chance. And that is definitely something to be grateful for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion