Goals

‎"Set your goals high, and don't stop until you get there." - Bo Jackson

I have thought about writing about goals a couple times lately, and when I saw this quote today, I decided today was the day. I have never been very good at self-motivation. If I commit to doing something for or with someone else, I WILL do it barring some extreme circumstance But when it comes to doing things that I commit to myself, I tend to slack off... a lot!

But I have been improving on that front. The biggest things I've learned is that I need to have grace with myself. Some days I will fail miserably. That's ok. Tomorrow is a new day, and I can try again. The goal is not over because one day I didn't do what I was supposed to. When I learned to let go of my failures, it helped my long term goals stick. Especially since along with that I learned that achieving high goals takes time. And sometimes it seems you are making no progress whatsoever. That's ok - just keep going. Or as Dorie says in Finding Nemo "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

I also learned that while there are many things about myself I would like to change or need to work on, I can't do it all at once. This is the same thing with the new things I wrote about the other day - I start off really enthusiastic but when I am trying to change too many things, I use up all of my energy really quickly. I have to take it one thing at a time - at least in regard to the bigger things.

Just a few thoughts that have helped me achieve my goals for whatever big goals you have on your plate. Don't be discouraged. Just keep swimming...

Spend each day trying to be a little wiser than you were when you woke up. Discharge your duties faithfully and well. Step by step you get ahead, but not necessarily in fast spurts. But you build discipline by preparing for fast spurts… Slug it out one inch at a time, day by day, at the end of the day – if you live long enough – most people get what they deserve.
- Charlie Munger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion