"Are we there yet?"

I love the excitement of new things. Sure, it's scary, but I just love the challenge and the newness of it. I have been in kind of a funk lately, and I feel like I am coming out of it. As I think about why I think it's kind of like spring in my life. There are new things happening and I am excited to see what comes from them.

There are some people who do well with routine. I am not one of them. I like new and different. And this sense of anticipation of the new things in my life - personal and professional - is quite exciting. But there's also a challenge that comes from it. I have a tendency to want to jump 10 steps ahead.

This new ministry we're creating at church - it starts in the fall. But I want to do all these things now. I am getting ready to move in May, so I tore my entire apartment apart last weekend and started going through things and purging stuff that I no longer want/need, and now I am trying to clean up the mess I made. Because one thing that happens when I get 10 steps ahead is that I lose momentum as the actual new thing gets closer. I use up my rush of energy too early.

It's funny because when it comes to running, I am built for distance, not speed. But in my life, I tend to sprint ahead and miss the moments along the way. Because the other thing about getting 10 steps ahead is that I miss the process of getting where I'm going.

Life is about the journey, not the destination. But sometimes I get so excited about the destination that I turn into the little kid in the backseat of the car, asking "Are we there yet?" All that question does is show that my focus is in the wrong place. I need to be appreciating where I am. Enjoying the anticipation of new things coming down the road, see what I can see and do right where I am. I need to enjoy the journey. So here's to the anticipation of things to come, whatever they may be, and appreciating the now, just as it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion