My Sermon 11/18/12


Sermon: Inscrutable
By Katy Wright
November 18, 2012
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13



I just heard that song for the first time last weekend.  I was at Fort Rapids with a group of youth and the band who sings that song was there for a concert and they sang that song which resonated with me. And each time I listen to it, I am more convicted and reminded of what we are called to be as the people of God.   We are called to be the proof of God’s love in the world today.   The question is, are we?  Are we the proof of God’s love?

Because the world needs love.  I remember during camp training talking about how kids who are acting out are often the ones who are hurting the most.  The ones who are being bullies are doing so because they are trying to distract you from the ways they are hurting but what they really need is someone to tell them they are worth loving just the way they are.  And there are a lot of people like this in the world today – people who are hard to love.  Or maybe for you, it’s not the bully who is so hard to love but it’s the person who holds different opinions than you.  Or maybe it’s someone who just rubs you the wrong way.  For me, it was people who were quick to judge others.  I remember having the realization at one point that I had become judgmental about judgment – talk about irony.  And so I had to remind myself that God loved them too.  Think about that person you have a hard time loving. And then think about them as a child of God.  It brings a little perspective doesn’t it?

I must confess this isn’t where I thought my sermon was going.  When I sent the initial thoughts to Dave and Cinda so they would have musical information, this wasn’t the scripture I was considering.  But when I sat down to write this sermon after I got home Tuesday night, I found myself overwhelmed.  I was overwhelmed by ideas and not knowing where to put them all.  I knew they didn’t all fit, but I couldn’t figure out which ones to keep and which ones to leave out.  So I wrote a draft.  And I didn’t like it.  It felt forced.  It reminded me of my college days when I used to write papers – I have always been a flow writer.  What I mean by that is that I can’t force a paper.  Some people have to make themselves write.  For me, I need to get in a flow and let the words just go through my brain right to the computer without really thinking too deeply about them.  And when I get stuck, when the flow stops, I have a problem.  I can’t push through it.  In college, there were many times that late at night, the night before a paper was due, I would open an entirely new document and start the paper over.  I might cut and paste some pieces from the original but I had to essentially start over and go in a different direction to push past that block. 

And that’s what I had to do with this sermon.  But first I had to come to a realization.  See I’m a perfectionist.  Some of you may doubt this because you also know that I am a procrastinator.  It is a challenging combination, but when it comes to things I put my energy into, I put them off until the last minute and then I strive for perfection. So when I got stuck in my sermon, knowing it wasn’t what I was trying to say – I stopped.  And I started thinking.  And looking at different things I have written over the past year and ways that I have been challenged and growing in my faith, all in an effort to come up with the perfect sermon.  And there were some definite themes, so I thought maybe I was supposed to speak about those instead.  Or maybe I was supposed to stick with my original plan.  And then I was thinking that I really don’t understand how people do this every week.  And then I was stopped in my tracks by a realization.  Somewhere along the way I had gotten way off track.  The sermon had ceased being about sharing God with you, and instead it had become about me. My perfectionism wasn’t about wanting God to work through me in perfect ways.  It was about me wanting to be perfect for my own sake.  I wanted to say the right thing, not because I wanted God to be glorified in my words, but because I wanted you to be impressed with what I said.  Wow.  Talk about being humbled.  So I stopped.  I stopped reading the words that I had been writing over the past year.  I stopped trying to push through to a perfect sermon.   I stopped focusing on the sermon at all.  And I focused where I should have been focusing all along – on God. I apologized to God for making it about me, and I started praying that God would empty my mind of all the thoughts that were clogging the way.  I prayed that when I turned back to my computer, my mind would be empty and that the words that flowed as I typed would be words from him. 

And isn’t that how we should live our lives?  As a reflection of who God is to the world? But the problem is that we tend to let faith become routine instead of relationship.  I grew up going to church.  I heard all the stories, and I knew the Sunday school answers.  I knew about the miracles that Jesus performed – healing the lame, feeding 5000, raising the dead.  But the stories were just that to me – stories.  I somehow missed the miracle in them.  It was just information, like that I learned in history class.  Because I was learning about Jesus, but I didn’t really know Jesus.

Last year through Lent I was reading a devotional by N.T. Wright and this quote really struck me: “A love unlike any other. A God unlike any other.”  I read those words on Good Friday.  And I reflected on the crucifixion.  See you and I, we know what happens.  We know about Easter morning.  But imagine you didn’t know the end of that story.  Imagine you had been following Jesus, believing the words he said, amazed at his miracles.  And then he’s dead.  This isn’t how you thought the story would go.  You thought he was going to overthrow the Roman government.  You were waiting for a Messiah who would work in a way you would understand.  But he’s dead.  Can you imagine it?  Sometimes the story becomes so routine to us that we forget how incredible it is.  Jesus died, on the cross, because he loves us, each and every one of us, no matter what.  It’s not possible.  And yet it’s true.

So here’s my question to you – do you know Jesus? I mean really know Jesus – not just know about him.  There are a lot of people who know about Jesus.  We know the stories of the Bible.  We know about his miracles.  We know he died for us.  We know about Jesus.  But do we really know him?  In James, where the author is talking about how our faith and our deeds are connected he writes this: “You believe that there is one God.  Good! Even the demons believe that and shudder.” 

Wow. Even the demons believe in one God. But that’s information.  That’s knowing about God.  And knowing about God is good – IF it leads to knowing God. Information is good, but we can only know so much. 

One activity we did last weekend at Fort Rapids was to read a series of verses and discussing what each verse told us about who God is.  We came to Romans 11:33 and I read, “Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!”  And I asked the youth if they knew what inscrutable means.  They didn’t, and neither my co-leader or I were certain we had it right – and our understandings weren’t the same.  So we looked it up, and discovered it means unfathomable, something that can’t be understood. 

God is inscrutable.  We cannot understand him fully.  I mean think about it – what are the things you can understand?  If you’re like me, the things you can truly understand are few and far between and tend to be little things.  But things like God and people – I don’t understand those.  At my brother’s college graduation, the speaker said something along the lines of “I hope your kids feel they know less leaving college than they thought they knew coming into college.”  It’s true in life.  The more we experience, the more we realize we don’t know.  And when we are in a relationship with God, we realize there is so much more we don’t know than what we do know.

But we don’t have to know everything about God to know God. Think about water with me for a second.  We know that water is made of 2 hydrogens and an oxygen, H2O.  We know we are made mostly of water.  But have you stopped to think about the miracle of water?  How water can soften things that have dried out?  How it expands when it freezes even though most things contract?  When I was working at the Y, I had to teach a class about water and the curriculum was really vague so I did some research about water to teach the class and what I found out was really interesting.  Like, did you know that water adheres to some things but not others, so you can actually pull a drop of water around wax paper with a toothpick because it will adhere to the toothpick but not to the wax paper?  And if you just get it close to another drop of water you will see them attract each other like magnets because water adheres to itself?  That’s why sometimes you can actually see water go above the edge of a container.  It’s amazing.  But I don’t have to understand all this about water – or why water does all this – to appreciate the importance of water to keep me hydrated.  Likewise, I don’t have to know everything about God to know God and trust him with my life.

1 John 4:16 says that “God is love.”  I can know that, and I can read it, but until I experience it, I can’t live it.  There are so many times I could point to when I have experienced God’s love but there is one that sticks out to me. I was working at camp and I was having an awful week.  I had campers who didn’t get along and a volunteer co-counselor who was making things harder rather than helping.  Campers come on Sunday afternoon and by Monday evening I was so stressed out by these circumstances I really wasn’t sure how I would make it through the week.  So when I went to worship Monday night, I really needed God. And towards the end of worship in this outdoor sanctuary, I am singing some praise song, and I look up into the sky and the way the trees and clouds are and the sun is setting, it looks like there is a heart in the sky.  And I knew suddenly that God was saying, “Katy, I know this is hard.  I know you aren’t sure how you’re going to get through this week.  But I love you.  Let that be enough.”  I experienced God that day.  I knew God.  I didn’t just know about him – I knew him.  But knowing God is a lifelong process.  It’s not a one time decision.  We have to continually spend time with him, sharing our lives, our whole lives, with him. I think of college friends who I still know and care about a lot, but I haven’t talked to in years and I really don’t know what is going on in their lives.  I still know about them – especially now with Facebook – but I don't really know them anymore.

In Jeremiah 29:13-14, God says to Israel, “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”  I have to tell you when I read this verse recently my thought was, “When was the last time I sought God with all my heart?”  When was the last time you did?  And why don’t we do this all the time?

Because truly seeking God means letting go of control. If we really seek to know God, he may call us to something we don’t want.  But if we never seek him, we won’t know and it seems safer not knowing.  We don’t like to let go of control. I tried salsa dancing recently and I was really bad at it.  Not because I have no rhythm which is the problem I predicted, but because I am an extremely independent person and I had a really hard time letting someone else lead.  I struggled to let go of that.  But my roommate, she has been salsa dancing more than I have, and she said that as she continues going, she starts to learn the cues that her partner is giving her and to know where he is leading her.  And as we spend more time with God we will be more able to trust where he is leading us as well. And as we spend time with him, we will take on his characteristics. 

I went to college in North Carolina, and by the time I graduated I was saying things like “y’all”, and “let me do this right quick.”  I even once caught myself saying the one that drove me crazy – “I might could do that.”  I spent so much time with people from North Carolina that I started talking like them.  And when we spend time experiencing God’s love – and the miracle that it is rather than taking it for granted – we will start living as the proof of God’s love to a world who desperately needs that love. But it’s important that it starts with God’s love. 
Think about the scripture defining love. We know that God is love, so what if it read, God is patient; God is kind; God is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. God does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;  God does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. God bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”
That is how God loves us.  But can we love others that way, and be proof of God’s love in the world?  Not on our own.  That’s why when Paul is talking about love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, he calls them fruits of the spirit – things that come out of us when we are filled with the holy spirit.

Let’s go back to water.  Imagine God is like water.  Many of us try to love the world this way – we go to God and we get filled up, and then we go out into the world, and we empty ourselves into others.  And we don’t always realize when we’re empty, so we keep trying to pour into others on our own power, but we get tired and frustrated.  We share our knowledge, instead of God himself.  About a year ago, I heard a youth ministry expert say, “We learn best what we love most.”  It’s so true.  But her point was that we try to do it backwards.  We try to give people information about God and hope they will fall in love with him.  But we need to show people God’s love first, and then they will want to learn all about him.  And in order to do that we need to do is keep focusing on God even as we go out into the world and continue letting him pour into us, and then we can pour into others out of the overflow of our own lives.  When we know God, instead of just knowing about him, and we let his love pour through us, then we can be proof of his love simply by the way we live. 


Let us pray.

God, you want a relationship with us.  And we have good intentions.  But sometimes it becomes routine.  We forget that you are so much bigger than anything we can understand.  We forget that to truly know you, we need to spend time with you.  So today God we remind ourselves that you are a God unlike any other who loves us unlike any other.  And we pray that we will be so filled by that love that we will go out to love a world in need of it.  We will love those you love – which is everyone.  Those we agree with and those with whom we disagree.  Those who we love to be around and those who drive us crazy.  Help us love each of them with your love that our lives may be proof of your love to a world in need.  Amen.

Blessing:
So go out to be the proof of God’s love in a world that so desperately needs it.  Or as Francis of Assisi said it, “Preach the gospel always; when necessary, use words.”  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion