Journey to Bethlehem: Day 2

So today I really didn't want to run.  After the 5 miles yesterday, my legs were tired.  Then I had a full day today as Wednesdays are one of my crazy days at the church.  I had an afternoon full of 5th and 6th graders.  And Taco Bell for dinner.  So no, I didn't really want to run.

But I had 75 miles to go before Christmas.  So I put it off as long as I could, then changed into running clothes and went to the gym.  I'm not gonna lie - I was hoping the fitness center at my apartment was closed when I went over there. I know it closes but I couldn't remember if it was 10 or 11 when it did.  It's 11.  I went at 10:15 so I got in no problem.

And I ran.  I didn't run fast.  I set a nice easy pace of a 10:30 mile on the treadmill (who would have thought I would say that was an easy pace), and went for it.  And I ended up going farther than I planned, because once I got started it felt good to move, and I figured I might as well keep going.

I can imagine feeling that way in the desert.  I was thinking today about how long Mary and Joseph probably took to travel the 80 miles to Bethlehem.  I mean, at 30 minutes per mile, that's 40 hours of walking.  So at least a few days.  I was thinking yesterday as I was running that in some ways walking across a dessert has to be a little like running on a treadmill - the scenery doesn't change much.  I wonder if it was hard for them to get motivated in the morning for more walking.  But they had somewhere to go (which is a significant difference from the treadmill).

At any rate, I conquered my lack of motivation for today, and the good news is that tomorrow is a much less crazy day.  9 miles down, 71 to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion