Day 2....

My favorite part of the olympics is the moment when the athlete realizes they have won the gold and that look of pure joy crosses their face - some cry, some laugh, some fall down in their joy, but all of them it's just awesome to see the look on their face the moment they realize they won and all of their hardwork has paid off.

Tonight, Evan Lysacek won the gold medal in men's figure skating, and the announcers kept talking about how much he trained - to the point that his coach sometimes has to tell him to stop practicing.

But I think we do the opposite in life the majority of the time. We expect to succeed at things, but we don't really prepare for them. Especially in faith. I know I am guilty of this. I wonder why I am feeling so frustrated with life, or why I am having so much trouble planning a youth group Bible study, or so many other things. And then I realize that I have gotten away from the point of what I am doing. See the Olympic athletes have a clear cut goal - and a timeline by which to get there - if they want gold - or even if they just going to compete - the goal of getting there is awesome.

Paul talks about this in running the race that is set before him. 1 Corinthians 9:24 "Do you not know that in a race the runners all compete, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win it." or in Hebrews 12:1 the author says, "...let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

What if I trained for life like athletes train for the Olympics? I definitely don't work that hard - oh sure, there is a time for play and fun - and I definitely take that time. But I also can be a really lazy person at times, and I know that I am not doing all that I should. I think the beauty of the Olympics is the reminder of the amazing joy that can come of achieving something you have worked so hard for. I want to feel that at the end of my life. Knowing that I have worked so hard and achieved amazing things... Here goes nothing... :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

Compassion

I am the church, you are the church, we are the church together...