I am weak, but He is strong

That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong. ~ 2 Corinthians 12:10

But now that you know God - or rather are known by God - how is that you are turning back to those weak and miserable forces?  Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? ~ Galatians 4:9

My devotional today had both of these verses in it, which got me thinking.  I am a very self-sufficient person. I always have been.  As a young child, I once disappeared from where I was playing (while at my aunt and uncle's house) and my parents found me in sleeping in the bedroom they told me was mine while we were there.  And when I got older, if I got sick in the middle of the night, I would often change my own sheets without waking my parents up.  So you can imagine that weakness and relying on someone else doesn't really come easily to me - even when that someone is the one who created me.

I had this realization a while back that when I pray for God's help what I really am asking for is for God to give me the ability to do what I think I need to do by myself.  But sometimes what God sends is someone to rely on or lend a hand.  Or sometimes God is telling me I need to let go of something and simply say no.  Neither of which come easily to me.  But the reality is that I cannot do everything, no matter how much I like to think I can.  I need to admit my weakness, and rely on God's strength in whatever form it presents itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion