Thoughts on resolutions

I don't really make new years resolutions, per se. I make resolutions year round when I see things in myself I want to change. And like new years resolutions for many people, I often fail the first 32 times and have to keep making the same resolution over and over again. Right now I am actually working on a number of resolutions from the last year.

I think for me though, my biggest challenge is that I have a hard time motivating myself for myself. If someone is depending on something to get done, you can bet it will be done and done well and done on time. But if I have a plan to do something, but the only person it impacts if it isn't done is me, chances are I will put it off. I mean it may get done eventually - my clean downstairs is evidence of that, though the fact that I turned in a work order may have impacted that. But I also put away Christmas decorations and all those things that didn't need to be done last night. So I do have some self motivation. Sometimes. But take running for example - if I am meeting someone to go for a run, I will be there. But if I decide that I am going to run, even if I tell others that is the plan, I often change my mind and don't get around to it.

I don't know how bad this actually is though. I mean I think it's important to let myself change my mind when it's only me it impacts. Last night I felt tired, and I decided it was more important to finish the cleaning I had been putting off than to go the treadmill and run. Plus it was really cold outside and I didn't want to go out there, but I was active and moving in my apartment, both during cleaning and after.

But I seem to have gotten off topic, I was talking about resolutions. I think making resolutions is important. None of us is perfect. We all have things we need to work on. And whether is January 1, March 16, or November 22, it's always a good time to start working on those things. So here's to my resolutions, the old, the new, and the ones I haven't made yet...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion