Relentless Humanization

Ok I've had a couple opportunities to write lately and wanted to share them with you. This first one was written as a devotion on our church Facebook group and was a reflection following Sunday worship in which Pastor Chris shared a message titled "Love Your Enemies" based on Matthew 5:43-48 and using the movie How to Train Your Dragon as an illustration. (The service is here, and worth watching https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=656995488285956) Here are my thoughts:

I wanted to continue the conversation about loving our enemies from Pastor Chris’s message yesterday. Relentless humanization is something I have been practicing in these divided days. It’s not easy, but it is necessary in order to love our enemies. We need to look behind actions for the emotions that are driving us. As I look around, I see a lot of people acting and reacting from pain and fear.

Fear of change. Fear of nothing changing. Fear of losing jobs and a struggling economy. Fear of coronavirus. Fear of the unknown. Fear of not having the answers. Fear of getting it wrong. Fear of losing those we love. The pain of loneliness. The pain of losing loved ones. The pain of accepting our mistakes and failures. The pain of constant change and uncertainty. And so much more.

Don’t get me wrong; these fears and pains are real and there are good reasons for many of them. The problem comes when we allow our fear and pain to be a point of disconnection instead of connection. When we are living in fear and pain, we often shut down and act on instinct. You may have heard this called fight or flight, and recently I have also heard freeze added to this. When we are operating in these emotional states, some of us are wired to lash out and fight, others to run away from the problem and pretend it doesn’t exist, and still others of us freeze, not knowing how to respond at all. I tend to fall in that last category. What each of us need to figure out is how to get ourselves beyond that “fight, flight, or freeze” place in our minds so that we can see beyond ourselves.

I didn’t have a chance to watch How to Train Your Dragon before the service yesterday, but I watched it yesterday afternoon. In the scene Pastor Chris described in his message when Hiccup decides not to kill the dragon he has caught, I find it interesting that it is the fear that he acknowledges in himself and sees in the dragon. See something I am learning in these days is that I need to accept my own weaknesses in order to be able to accept them in others.

I need to accept that I am afraid, so that I can see how others’ fear impacts their actions.

I need to accept that I am not perfect and I am still learning, so that I can have grace when others make mistakes or don't know things I take for granted.

I need to have the humility to accept that I don’t have all the answers, so that I can be willing to listen and learn from others.

I need to accept that I have a story and a history that inform my point of view, so that I can recognize that not everyone has experienced life the way I have.

I need to accept my gifts and abilities, as well as my weaknesses, in order to appreciate the gifts and abilities that others have, and accept their weaknesses.

I need to accept that I am a child of God, so that I can see the God in others.

In short, I need to accept my own humanity, so that I see others as human first.

I was recently introduced to this band, The Brilliance, and have been listening to them frequently ever since. I hope you will take time today to listen to this song and to reflect on your own journey, on your own humanity and the humanity of others. Ask for forgiveness where you need to. Pray for eyes to see the emotion and the humanity behind actions and beliefs you don’t understand. Look for the roots of your own points of view and be willing to challenge them. Listen to people who have different experiences from you with no intention besides understanding. As it says in the song “Broken people we can be made whole…as we lay down our weapons, open up our hearts. Love is breaking us, love remaking us.” Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion