Hiding

When people think of Costa Rica, they often think of tourism.  And in fact, tourism is the number 1 source of income for the country.  As a result, many people may be surprised at the amount of poverty that exists within Costa Rica.  As I have read the reflections from everyone that went on our trip, the day we went to La Carpio was mentioned in almost everyone's reflection.  The impact of witnessing the extreme poverty weighed heavy on everyone's hearts.


One thing we were told on our way to La Carpio has stuck with me.  We actually had to pass La Carpio on our way to get there because there is only one road into the area.  A road that ends at the dump.  Because when tourism is such a huge industry, you don't want people to see the poverty.  In fact, we were told that sometimes the government will give people enough money to help them move (though not the support they really need for a different life), then tear down the shacks they have built in order to keep up the image.

In what ways are we like the Costa Rican government?  I don't mean a societal hiding of poverty - though that certainly exists in the U.S. as well.  But what I refer to is hiding our individual poverty.  What are our dirty little secrets that we don't want anyone to know for fear that they won't like what they see?  We are all really good at wearing masks and denying the poverty that exists within ourselves.  We deal with them enough to be able to keep them hidden, but we still keep it hidden.  In Costa Rica, Strong Missions asked us to tell their story - because without the story being told, people don't know. Bringing the poverty into the light is the only way that anything can be done. Likewise, bringing our weaknesses, our failures, our fears, our inner poverty can not truly be dealt with until we bring it to light.

Costa Rica calls places like La Carpio precarios which essentially means precarious situation.  In the spirit of living what I write, here is a precario in my life, that I haven't yet talked about publicly:

My life is about change pretty drastically.  I am leaving my job of 7.5 years in a little over a month.  Which makes me sad.  I am going to miss this place and these people that I have shared my life with during that time.  I am sad that I won't be able to be an active part of the lives of these amazing teens I care so much about.  I am sad for all that I will miss. But I am also pleased with the work I have done and I know that the ministry is in a good place for those taking over.

I am also scared.  Because I don't know what's next.  Whatever it is will be a big change.  In addition to changing jobs, my roommate and I have decided that we are moving - separately.  Which also makes me sad.  These 2 years living together have been so great for both of us.  She is a huge support system to me in my life, in my running, in my faith.   I know we will still be friends,  but I also know it won't be the same. Then there's the fact that I don't even know where I am heading.  It all depends where I get a job, and I am looking in a variety of areas - some close to home and some in places I've never even been.  So yeah I'm scared.

I'm also excited.  I've been looking at a number of job possibilities in different areas of youth ministry, and I'm excited about the challenge and change that they would bring to my life.  But then I'm also intimidated. The jobs I am looking at are not within my comfort zone. I think they would be interesting and challenging and things I could do well.  But its still intimidating to try new things, not knowing what will happen.

There's a lot of varying emotion in my life right now.  In seeing me, you might not see it because I'm pretty good at hiding.  But it's there.  The truth is that change is hard and scary and exciting all at the same time.  So in this time of transition, I ask for prayers for peace of mind, discernment for God's direction, and smooth transitions.

And I ask you to think about your life - what precarios are you hiding?  Where do you need to shed light on them?  It may not be in a public forum like a blog.  Maybe for you it's a conversation you need to have. Whatever it looks like for you, I encourage you to shed light on those things you are hiding.  Because transformation can only happen with admitting the need for it - and then it takes work.  In Costa Rica, the story needs to be told, so work needs to be done.  Telling the story was the point of my last blog, Hunger has a face. And a beautiful smile.  But it can't end there - we then need to do something.

What part of your story do you need to bring out of hiding?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

I am the church, you are the church, we are the church together...

Ideas