As far as it depends on you...

I know this is something I have posted about before, but it is something that I really feel on my heart, and I read this quote yesterday in Immerse: A Journal of Faith, Life, and Youth Minstry.


"We must see people as people, not issues...  I do not feel the need to be the Holy Spirit and bring down judgment on those who have a different perspective than I do.  I am committed to conversations and relationships with those I don't agree with.  I want to be open to learn from others.  I seek first to understand.  We can be people who disagree on important issues without demonizing one another." ~ Mike King, executive editor 

I love this.  There are a couple of things that stuck out to me.  First - "We must see people as people, not issues."  Jesus did this.  He saw the people behind the leprosy, the blindness, the prostitution, the adultery, the tax collecting.  But how often do we write people off because they disagree with us on politics, (homosexuality and gun control are the ones I currently see blowing up my Facebook newsfeed - on both sides).  Because they wear a label - democrat, republican.  The truth is we are all people and we should see each other that way above all else.  But it's a choice.  And it's not easy.  Hiding behind the labels is a lot easier.  But it's amazing the things you will find that connect you when you stop being so concerned with those labels.

The second part I love is "I do not feel the need to be the Holy Spirit and bring down judgment..."  We are not called to judge anyone.  "Let the one among you who has not sinned cast the first stone."  I can tell you that's not me.  I hear all the time - love the sinner, hate the sin.  Let me just say - that statement is never in the Bible.  I'm not saying we are supposed to support sin.  I'm saying that, when you boil it all down, it is not our job to change people.  That's up to God through the work of the Holy Spirit.  We can pray, we can look for opportunities to share in a respectful manner.  But the real change will only happen through the Holy Spirit and someone choosing to change. What Jesus tells us is to "Love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and love our neighbor as yourself."   And then he tells a story about a Samaritan, an outcast, who was a neighbor when no one else would be (Luke 10:25-37).

Mike goes on to quote Romans 12:14-18:

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.  Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.  Live in harmony with one another.  Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.  Do not be conceited.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

That last line really sticks out to me. "As far as it depends on you."  I tell youth at church and at camp all the time that the only thing we can control is our own choices - and that's not just our actions.  We also choose our attitudes by where we choose to place our focus.  We choose how we think about people as well as how we treat people.  We can't make anyone else's choices for them, but we can choose to see them as people.  And then we can have dialogue with them - which means listening as much, if not more, than we talk.

This is my prayer for the world.  That we stop placing people in categories of "those I agree with" and "those who are wrong."  But that we realize all people are simply that: people.  Imperfect, but created by a loving and perfect God. Lord, hear my prayer.

In the meantime, I will seek to live this out myself by being in relationship with those who live in a way that is contrary to this post, because I realize that I am not perfect in this area.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion