Some thoughts about the election

It has definitely been interesting living in Ohio during this election season.  And by interesting, I mean frustrating, annoying, and all sorts of other not so happy things.  But tomorrow is election day.  I have come close to the point where I really am just excited for it to be over so that all the political ads will end.  But the damage that was done during the campaign is really not so easy to fix.  So here are a few things I believe are important for tomorrow and beyond.

1.  Whoever wins, God is still sovereign.  I have done my research and I know how I am voting for each office and issue that will be on my ballot.  But let's just focus on president because that is the one that all registered voters have on the ballot.    Please remember that  Mitt Romney and Barack Obama are both people, created by the same loving God who created you.  And perhaps more importantly, the people who voted for them are also people that God created and loves. I think all the negativity and attacking in our electoral process must be so hurtful to the God who loves and created each of us.

I also believe that both candidates are running because they love this country.  I do not think anyone would want to take on the stress of campaigning (and the job of president if you win) if they did not have a deep love of our country.  They have different visions, that is true.  But all candidates are human and whoever is elected will do some good, and make some mistakes. Neither candidate is perfect, but neither is one all bad. I do not believe the person I vote for will  single-handedly save our country, nor do I believe the other guy will single-handedly destroy it. Which leads me to my next point... 

2. We all have responsibilities.  Yes, we have a responsibility to vote.  But we have a lot more responsibility than that.  No president (Bush, Obama, or any before them) nor government as a whole is solely responsible for the state of our country.  We share that responsibility - and not just because our officials were elected by voters.  We are each responsible for the ways we spend our money, and it isn't just the government spending beyond it's means.  We share responsible for the negative energy of this campaign.  It isn't just the political ads that are spreading that negativity - it's all over my Facebook feed, from friends on both sides.  And I'm guessing it's all over yours too (if you're on Facebook).  Tired of the negativity?  Don't add to it.  

And we also share responsibility for what happens after the election.  No matter who wins.  That means even if the person I did not vote for wins, I share some responsibility for improving the world.  I tried to write this after I watched the 3rd debate, and I never quite figured out how to word it, but I am going to try again now.  As I watched that debate, I was grateful for what I do.   I was grateful that I get to look at the small picture.  Government officials are supposed to look at the big picture - what is best for the country in __________ circumstance?  And there are no easy answers - many times not even any right answers.  Most of the time they are trying to decide the least wrong answers.  And sometimes they get it right, and sometimes they get it wrong, just like the rest of us.  And every decision they make, there will be people supporting them and people criticizing them.  

And I have some of that one a smaller scale.  But mostly, I get to focus on the little picture.  I get to focus on the youth at my church.  I get to know them each as individuals and be a real part of their lives.  I get to have one on one conversations with parents and make decisions based on those conversations.    I spend time with children and youth investing in them as people.  I get to focus on my friends and how I can serve them and make their lives easier.  I get to go out on a Saturday in my county and rake leaves without having my motivation questioned.  I get to go on a work mission in the summer and touch lives.  I get to work at a camp and help students learn about working together at a team or achieve things they weren't sure they could do.  And in each of those things I get to focus on and invest in the people around me, not translate all of that into a huge picture.  And I am so grateful for that.

Beyond that, I truly believe I have more impact on the people in my life than any president, which gives me a lot of responsibility in my circle of influence.  And we each have a circle of influence - people whose lives we touch.  What impact are we making on those around us?  Are we adding to negativity or loving the way God calls us to?  Are we serving those around us or do we think they get what they work for?  So many choices that we make every day that impact the world around us. Tomorrow we vote.  But the real work is ongoing, and it falls to all of us.  So must control the one thing we can - ourselves.  Our actions, choices, responses.  

So go vote.  But more importantly, in the words of Ghandi: "Be the change you want to see in the world.."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion