Work Mission

So I am down here in North Carolina with the SUMC Youth Work Mission Team. There are 39 of. So far it has been what I am referring to as a "Comedy of Plan B," but we have been managing quite well. It all started Friday night when major storms went through Ohio, just as we were getting ready to pack. It put us a little behind schedule to start with, but honestly, I felt like the packing process went smoother than any other work mission I have been on. Saturday morning, the goal was to leave at 4 and it was about 4:20 that we got on the road - not bad for as many people as we had. A few hours later the challenges began. When we got to southern Ohio, we hit a detour due to a bridge out that added an hour to our drive, but more than that we learned how expansive the power outages were as we saw long lines at the gas stations and many were without power. We also learned that many rest areas were without power - and when they don't have power the bathroom is closed. Fortunately, we were able to find an open gas station with bathrooms in West Virginia, and after that we were able to make it to the North Carolina welcome center by about 12:30 for lunch. We had been planning to eat in Greensboro, but with the added time from the detour, plan B was definitely necessary - especially given how early we had been up. After we got to North Carolina, it was pretty smooth sailing. For me, it was fun to watch the familiar road signs and be as close to Elon as I have been since graduating - that being seeing the signs from 40/85 while riding past in the church bus. We made it to Bayboro where we are staying and working around 6:30. The church where we are staying is nice - some good common space, lots of sleeping space. We have a shower trailer with REALLY small showers, but hey we can get clean, so I guess that's what matters in showers. Though sweating immediately after turning the shower off is not my favorite thing. Saturday night, we also had devotions which I led. The theme this year is "I am second." In other words, God should always be first in our lives and we need to seek him and love him with all that we are. We started by letting go of all the stuff we brought with us - not in terms of luggage and tools, but in terms of stress, anxiety, fear, and worry. And we talked about how that is important so we can see the needs of others, and then once we see, we need to act. I'll tell you about yesterday tonight when I come back, but for now I need to get up and get ready for today. We're starting work! Pray that mosquitos won't eat too much of us, and that we will be able to get some good productive work done on people's houses and more importantly impact lives - both of the people who own that houses and of members of our group. I'll leave you with the song I played the work mission team during devotions Saturday - and the thought that while you may not be on our trip, you can also find ways to see the needs of others and act in service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion