I am the church, you are the church, we are the church together...

"You can't own the gospel. It doesn't belong to the church. It's too wild to be contained within an institution. Just like you can't truly own an idea, you can't own love, forgiveness of sin, or grace." ~ Adam McLane, "Open Source Theology" found in Immerse: A Journal of Faith, Life, and Youth Ministry

I read this article this morning, and as I considered what Adam was saying, I think the church has a lot to learn. It reminds me of a conversation I have been having with a friend recently in which we have been talking about young adults leaving the church. Often young adults look at the church and they see the problems within the church. They see money being spent on buildings and programs instead of people. They see broken people claiming to be fixed and acting holier than thou. I am not saying all churches are like this, but I'm not going to lie. If I had no personal experience with the church, and I had to rely on what is visible in society and the media, I don't think church is something that I would want to be a part of. And a part of me is a little hesitant to be associated with that in some people's minds. I feel like sometimes because I work for the church, I am judged before people know who I am because of what some people with a larger voice than mine do with their beliefs.

But I stay in the church. Not because I think it's perfect. The church as a whole is not perfect, nor is any individual church perfect. I stay in the church because it matters. And because the only way to improve upon something that is not perfect is to be a part of it. You see, when we leave the church because it's a mess, we take away our ability to do anything about it other than complain. It's the people who stick around and work really hard to clean up the mess that really make the difference.

I think of a friend who is involved in a church that has had a hard time the last couple years. A lot of people have left that church. And in a recent conversation with this friend, she said she feels like they are turning a corner because the people who are left are the people who are willing to stick it out and do the work that needs done. Many people attend church for what they get out of it or because they think they should. But that reason isn't going to bring you through the hard times and it isn't really what the church is meant to be about.

In the article I quoted at the beginning, Adam McLane is talking about the need to return to the idea of the priesthood of all believers - that we all have the ability and responsibility to share the gospel. Jesus turned the world of the Pharisees upside down by taking out the middle man of the temple and letting people go directly to God. But this doesn't mean church doesn't matter. Adam says later in the article, "The hope of the world lies in individuals and families embracing a simple strategy of neighbors loving neighbors. As we the body of Christ - messy, broken and dependant - embrace our role as the God ordained preists on our block, the church and can get back to the designed multiplication strategy."

No the church is not perfect, because people are not perfect. But God is. And when we humble ourselves and let God work through each of us and in all areas of our lives, that's when the church will become the community we are called to be.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In need of ideas...

"Don't let me become an elephant"

Compassion